The History of ECC
Elbridge Community Church had its beginnings with the early settlers of Elbridge Township. Early on, the families met in a schoolhouse on the John Rasmussen farm, moving to the Township Hall when the schoolhouse was torn down. The original church building was dedicated on May 14, 1905. The building was an auditorium with a full basement costing $700, which was raised by the Ladies Aid in a special drive. The church was called the “Elbridge Center M.E. Church”. In 1956, the members purchased the building from the Methodist conference and formed an independent, non-denominational, community church.
Over the years, many physical improvements took form including installation of a furnace, lavatories, classrooms and improving the kitchen. When a new entryway was added to the south side of the church, the sanctuary seating was changed from east to south. A major expansion of 1300 square feet was added in 1989. A local contractor roughed in the structure, but the majority of the interior was completed by church members. Some members were armed with drills, hammers, and paintbrushes, while other contributed by cleaning and cooking. Everyone prayed and the addition became reality. The basement fellowship area was also expanded allowing in more natural light. The current sanctuary can seat 200+ people comfortably. Once again, the seating facing the east, showcasing the beautiful view of God’s creation.
Elbridge Community Church has had the privilege of being served by many fine pastors over the years. With each pastor has come individual ministry styles, yet the focus has always been teaching from the Bible. The programs and offerings of Sunday School, weekday Bible studies, and fellowship activities have given church members many wonderful opportunities to participate and grow in their Christian lives. The Mission Board continues to serve and support a variety of missionaries and charitable organizations. The Ladies Aid is an active group serving the church fundraising, quilt making, and serving luncheons. Our Trustee and Deacon Boards continue to lead our church as followers of Christ, and help form us into the church God has called us to be.